Medan Great Mosque
Great Mosque of Medan or Masjid Raya Al Mashun is located at Jalan Singamangaraja, Medan, North Sumatra. It was built in 1906 – 1909, in the style between the Middle East, Spain, and India; it has octagonal shape and has a wing on the south, east, north and west.. The location is very easy to found for it already popular as one of pilgrimage sites in Medan.
In beginning of its establishment, this mosque merges with palace complex, where Sultan Ma'mun Al Rashid Perkasa Alam as a leader of Sultanate of Deli started the development of this mosque.
The first developer of this mosque was designed by the Dutch architect Van Erp who also designed The Maimoon Palace, but then the process was done by JA Tingdeman, for Van Erp at that time was called to Java by the Dutch government to join in the process of restoration of Borobudur temple in Central Java. Most imported building materials such as: marble for decoration imported from Italy, Germany and China and the stained glass from the chandelier directly from France.
The building of this mosque is divided into the main hall, ablution, entrance and tower. The main hall, a place of prayer, the octagonal is not equilateral. The windows that surround the porch door made of wood with precious stained glass, the remnants of the Art Nouveau period 1890-1914, that combined with Islamic art.
The entire ornament in the mosque either on walls, ceilings, pillars, arches and a surface is rich with flowers and plants. In front of each veranda there are stairs. While, the dome of the mosque is re-modeling the Turkish interior, broken shapes octagonal. The main dome surrounded by four other domes above each porch, with a smaller size. The dome shape is reminiscent of the Great Mosque in Banda Aceh.