Bumi Ayu Temple
Bumiayu temple is one of heritages from Hindu era. It located in coastal river of Lematang, administratively in Bumiayu village, Tanah Abang sub-district, Penukal Abab regency, Pematang Ilir.
This temple is the only complex of temples in South Sumatra. Until today, there are less than 9 temples that been found in this area, and four of them have been restored, those are Temple 1, Temple 2, Temple 3 and Temple 8. This preservation has begun since 1990 till now. This temple complex covers an area of 75.56 ha, with the outer limit of 7 trenches.
The temples in Bumi Ayu are death monument, which mean the monument that had been left. The temple was abandoned as the late decision of Hindu political by the Islamic force in about the 16th century. Then the temples were broken and buried until it rediscovered by EP Tombrink 1864.
The story that been recorded by A.J. Knaap 1902 states that what is now called the Bumi Ayu Temple is the former palace of a kingdom called Gedebong Undang. It also told that the region of the kingdom was spread until at Modong and Babat. F.M. Schnitger reported that in both villages there were also the remains of Hinduism (1934: 4), but has lost by the Lematang River eroded.