Welcome to the Indonesia Tourism Forum, Where You Can Find Any Information About Indonesia.

Malioboro street, Yogyakarta

Malioboro is the most famous street in Yogyakarta. Located in the heart of Yogya, this is the city’s main street, and was once the ceremonial avenue for the Sultan to pass through on his way to and from the Keraton. During such occasions Malioboro would be festively decorated with flowers. Some say that the name Malioboro” derives from the name of the British governor Marlborough from the era when Britain ruled the archipelago, between 1811-1816.

Near the north gate of the Keraton or palace are grand Dutch colonial buildings that are now the Central Post Office and the Bank Dagang Negara. Walking further north is the well laid out State Guest House, which was once the home of the Dutch Resident, but which after Independence became the presidential palace when Yogya was the capital of the young Republic. President Soekarno stayed here between 1946-1949.

Across the road is the Vredenburg fort, which used to be the barracks of Dutch soldiers and is now a center for arts and painting exhibitions.
    On the same side of the road is Beringharjo market, Yogya’s crowded main market, where you can buy batik and souvenirs at cheap prices.
    On Malioboro you will also find Yogyakarta’s oldest hotel, the Garuda Hotel, built in Dutch colonial architecture.

While steeped in history, today, Malioboro is the place to come to shop. It packed with shops selling curiosities, and street vendors offering souvenirs at affordable prices, so you’re bound to find something of interest in this street.

If you’re after some batik to take home as a souvenir, then Malioboro is the right place for you. From house dresses to formal batik wear, this street has them all. Batik can also be made into bags, table cloths, bed sheets, pillow covers, curtains, and a whole lot more.

Source: indonesia.travel

photo: allaboutindonesia.tk

photo:

photo:

Video by: travel2asia

I've visited this place and so impressive ...
    I liked the hospitality of the people

This is my favorite street in Yogyakarta. Beside that, I liked the hospitality of the people.

Malioboro Yogyakarta is the most popular place in Yogyakarta, many souvenir along the street , if you wanna travel arround jogja include visiting malioboro, you can use Jogja travel service which spread many in Jogjkarta
    Last edited by sunshine; 09-12-2013 at 12:45.