Tolaki People

Kendari city inhabited by several ethnic groups, one of which is Tolaki tribes. This is an indigenous tribe in mainland Southeast Sulawesi island after the tribe Muna in Muna island and Buton tribe from the island of Buton.

Around the 10th century, the mainland of Southeast Sulawesi had two great kingdoms of the royal Konawe (Konawe region) and the Kingdom Mekongga (Kolaka Region). In general, these two allied kingdom are the same and it known as tribes Tolaki.

In the history of the Kingdom Konawe, which based in Unaaha, the government was implemented the device known as SIWOLE MBATOHU around the year 1602/1666, namely:
1) Tambo I ´Losoano Oleo
2) Tambo I´ Tepuliano Oleo
3) Bharata I´Hana;
4) Bharata I´ Moeri

In social interaction and community life, Tolaki tribes have some noble values, which is based on philosophy of life. Tolaki people have cultural philosophy in term of metaphor, as follows in:

- O’sara Culture (Culture of obedient and loyal to the verdict with customary institutions)
- Kohanu Culture (shame culture)
- Merou Culture ( social manners understanding )
- “samaturu” “medulu ronga mepokoo’aso” Culture (cultural unity, love and togetherness)
- “taa ehe tinua-tuay” Culture (Culture Proud of dignity and identity as a people Tolaki)

Tolaki people have one important guidance in their life, which is called as KALO. Literally ‘kalo’ is a ring-shaped objects, the ways of binding and coiled, and meetings or joint activities in which the people form a circle. If can be made from rattan, gold, iron, silver, yarn, white fabric, roots, leaves of pandanus, bamboo and buffalo leather.

Kalo is about osara (customs) relating to the principal in the government customs, family relationships, societal, religious activities, beliefs, agricultural skills and daily life.

www.Indonesia-Tourism.com